[Mapserver-users] WMS server image black padding and aspect ratio

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Jan 23 17:11:16 EST 2004

Eric Sokolowsky wrote:
> I am running mapserver 4.0.1 but this aspect also appears with the
> version in CVS.  I am using mapserver as a WMS server on a Red Hat Linux 9
> system.  When I request an image that is not the same aspect ratio as
> the original image on the server, it seems that the image I get is
> not stretched so that it fills the entire frame.  The aspect ratio of the
> original source is maintained and black bars either appear above and below
> or else on both sides, similar to the effect of watching widescreen movies
> on a regular TV.  Is this the intended behavior, and if so, is there a way
> to turn it off?

The short answer is that MapServer doesn't support rendering maps with
different X and Y scales.  This is one of the only issues with MapServer
before it passes all the OGC WMS tests.

For the long story, see the following thread in the archives:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0401/msg00105.html

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca