[Mapserver-users] Oracle Spatial Extents

Frans Knibbe frans at geodan.nl
Tue Jul 27 04:44:17 EDT 2004

Vladimir,

Ah, I understand now, you want the MBR of the entire table/layer, not of
every single geometric object...
It is strange that  SDO_AGGR_MBR also takes too long, I would expect it
to execute faster. Have you also tried SDO_TUNE.EXTENT_OF?

Are your data often modified? If the geometric data are not changing,
you could also queryuser_sdo_geom_metadata,  because the extent of the
entire layer is stored there.
Did you update user_sdo_geom_metadata after projecting the data?

You were right about your data not being geodetic.  The difference is
that geodetic co-ordinates indicate a point on a sphere or sphere-like
object, whereas projected co-ordinates generally indicate a point on a
flat surface. The first co-ordinate system you used (SRID 8307) was
geodetic, and that is why you weren't able to use the MBR functions. You
can tell whether a co-ordinate system is geodetic by looking at the
tabel MDSYS.CS_SRS. The column WKTEXT holds the Well Known Text
description fort each SRID. If it starts with "GEOGCS", the co-ordinate
system is geodetic.

Good luck,

Frans