[Mapserver-users] Mapserver performance for large maps - suggestions?

Armin Burger armin.burger at gmx.net
Wed Jul 28 18:13:13 EDT 2004

Nick

I would regard the basic requirements for fast map display as
- create spatial index for shapefiles using shptree tool
- display layer only for scale ranges that make sense

This way it's easily possible to server layers based on shapefiles with some hundreds of MB and/or some 100000 features.

For very large datasets keeping shapefiles separate might be a bit faster, but this depends also on the data structure

In my impression PostGIS is not very much slower than shapefiles, at least not for resonable relations scale-detail. If you work with filter statements they can even be faster because you can set indexes on the filter item for the PG table. And if you use attribute search PostGIS is much faster (using indexes) and more flexible than shapefiles.

Very big datasets become difficult for shapefiles, say, something like some millions features and some GB file size. PostGIS tables can handle these huge datasets much better.

Armin