[Mapserver-users] demo problem and postgis

Saurabh Data sd at dil.in
Wed Mar 17 09:30:36 EST 2004

Hi

I now have successfully compiled and installed mapserver and want to test it
by doing a demo ..

On http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/demo_readme.html :

1) The link to download the demo is not working
2) I somehow got the demo from faq page and while running it it says :

msLoadMap(): General error message. Undefined overlay symbol
"symbols/ctyhwy.gif" in class 0, style 0 of layer ctyrdln3_anno.
msAddImageSymbol(): General error message. Unable to load GIF symbol.

I think this is asking for GIF library.. where as I have PNG anf JPEG
installed. Also I think GIF is proprietary !! ..

what do I do to resolve the problem

Also, as I am new to mapserver and want to use postGIS as a backend , can
anyone give me any ideas to to do it ? I couldnot find any information on
documentation page.!!

cheers

Saurabh Data