[Mapserver-users] mapserver for phones / wireless

Jeff Hoffmann jeff at propertykey.com
Wed May 26 00:59:56 EDT 2004

On May 25, 2004, at 11:19 PM, Gerry Creager wrote:

> I keep saying I'm going to, and maybe will tomorrow.  Just have to
> see.  As much as anything, it should be an issue of getting the image
> size right for the itty bitty screens!

Not only the image, you really need to "think small" for the whole
application.  I've used Perl/MapScript to create a couple of XHTML
sites for cell phones which works out great if the phones you're
interested in support them (most should by now) --  like Gerry said,
the images I used were 100x100 PNGs (I think JPGs work, too, but I
never tried) so they're pretty small, but big enough that they can be
useful.  It takes a little playing around to get them to look good at
that size, but other than that, the rest is basically HTML.  I
downloaded a phone emulator from Openwave to do development on (not
only does it speed things up quite a bit, but Openwave also provides
the browsers for a lot of the phones so you're pretty sure your work
will carry over to the actual phones).

--
Jeff Hoffmann
jeff at propertykey.com