[Mapserver-users] How does one create .map files?

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Wed May 26 18:22:14 EDT 2004

Plants are welcome on this list... :)
Many typically take an existing .map file and start pulling out stuff and
sticking in their own stuff.  Use a basic text editor like Notepad should
be fine.  I can't speak too much to your data format question, but
MapServer can read numerous (dozens) of different raster and vector
formats.  It uses some behind-the-scenes capabilities of a library called
GDAL/OGR for reading raster and vector data.  GDAL currently supports
DTED, but does not appear to _directly_ support the others you mentioned.

See:
http://remotesensing.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2003-September/001057.html

Any format that OGR can read in, can (more or less?) be exported into
Shapefiles using the ogr2ogr utility.  I'd highly recommend getting some
sample data first and getting comfy  :)

Keep up the questions as your progress and we'll help you out.

You'd really benefit from attending the MapServer Users Conference in
Ottawa, June 9-11th.  The MapServer 101 workshop would be right up your
alley!