thread support when compiling MS4.4b and libmapscript.so

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Nov 19 14:08:10 EST 2004

Dan Barron wrote:
> Sean,
>
> I have come back to this threading topic and hope I can put together a
> better question or two on MS 4.4b libmapscript.so thread support.  Maybe
> this is obvious, but I want to make sure it is clear to me - when running
> configure for MS 4.4b compile should the "--with-threads=linkopt" option be
> used to enable threading in the resulting mapserv executable?  In addition,
> when building the libmascript.so and mapscript.jar is threading support
> then built into the native library?

Dan,

I'm sure that Sean can address this better from the mapscript point of view.
But my belief is that the --with-threads just enables use of exclusion locks
around a bunch of services in the libmap core.  In particular, it ensures that
only one thread at a time can be using the error stack, GDAL, PROJ.4, the parser
and freetype at once.  The application is also responsible for ensuring that
only one thread at a time manipulates a map.  That is, it is intended to make
it possible to have different threads each rendering their own maps not for
several threads to operate on a single mapObj.

Best regards,