MapScript - Parsing templates

Lowell Filak lfilak at MEDINACO.ORG
Tue Nov 23 08:15:56 EST 2004

The following message was sent by Aaron Craig <mercutio at POBOX.COM> on
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:31:48 +0100.

> I am just jumping into using MapScript (Perl) with MapServer.
>
> First of all, am I mistaken in thinking that if you use MapScript you
> must re-implement most of the functionality of the mapserv cgi program
> that comes with the mapserver package?  Or is there a way to reuse some
> of that functionality?
>
> Specifically, I'm interested in getting the templates parsed with the
> variable strings (ie [variable_name]) replaced.
>
> It wouldn't be difficult to re-implement this in Perl, but it seems such
> a useful and common thing, that I wonder if the API already offers this
> functionality or if there's already a package that does it.
>
> I've looked at the API documentation but didn't find anything that
> looked hopeful.

Aaron,

The map->processTemplate will do what you want but not until the next
release (at least for Perl). Currently there is at least one typemap
missing to allow the method to work correctly. I was unable to get the
changes made in time for 4.4 .

Lowell