WMS Request Question

Tweedy, Scott sctweedy at NRCAN.GC.CA
Tue Nov 23 11:38:50 EST 2004

Thanks for your answer yesterday Bart, but here's the statement in the WMS
Server HOWTO document
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/wms-server-howto.html) that had me
"confused"

Option A: Use Only Parameters Required by MapServer

Simply adding
"VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&LAYERS=yourlayername1,yourlayername2" to your
server's URL should generate a map with the default map size and all the
layers with STATUS ON or DEFAULT displayed, e.g.

The statement is in the "Test With a GetMap Request" section.  It seems to
state that if STATUS is ON or DEFAULT the layer would be displayed,
therefore conversely saying that if STATUS is OFF it won't.

I konw the WMS call seems to ignore the STATUS of a layer, but this
statement seems to suggest otherwise, which is correct (or better yet which
should be correct)?

Thanks in advance again,
st

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU]On
Behalf Of Tweedy, Scott
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 2:23 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] WMS Request Question

I have a question about a WMS requestion respecting the STATUS parameter
within a map file.

I have a Mapfile that has numerous layers in it, some are initially turned
on, some off using the STATUS object.  The Mapfile works fine if I call it
through a webpage, but if I call it using a WMS request this STATUS object
seems to get ignored and all layers are turned on.  Is this normal behaviour
for Mapserver v. 4.3?  If so is there any way around it?

st

Scott Tweedy
Geoscience Database Analyst - Analyste de base des données géoscientifiques
ESS Geoinformatics Division - Division SST Géoinformatique
Earth Sciences Sector - Secteur des sciences de la terre
Natural Resources Canada - Ressources naturelles Canada
580-615 Booth Street - 580-615 rue Booth
Ottawa, ON  Canada  K1A 0E9
tel. (613) 947-0665 - tél. (613) 947-0665
fax (613) 995-2520 - télc. (613) 995-2520
Email sctweedy at nrcan.gc.ca - Courriel sctweedy at nrcan.gc.ca