msProcessProjection(): unknown projection id

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Nov 24 14:17:06 EST 2004

joerg pfeiffer wrote:
> hello,
>
> i installed mapserver with the lingis rpms. Everything seemed to be
> fine, but when I am running my .phtml files I get the error:
>
> msProcessProjection(): unknown projection id
>
> I tried to change the projection, I completely deleted the projection, I
> completely deleted all the contents of the whole file, but nothing
> happens. I always get this error.

Joerg,

The message means an unrecognised value was passed to pj_init() for the
proj=<value> argument of a projection definition.  This is quite unusual.
It is almost certain that somewhere in your .map file or your PHP script
there will be something setting a projection and for some reason doing
so improperly.

If you are willing to try it out, you might want to add a debug message in
proj/src/pj_init.c near the line:

        if (!s) { pj_errno = -5; goto bum_call; }

Change this to:

         if (!s) {
             fprintf( stderr, "unknown proj=%s\n", name);
              pj_errno = -5; goto bum_call;
         }

Of course, you will need to download, build and install a new PROJ.4
from source to make this change.

Good luck,