People using the Next_Generation_API?

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Sun Nov 28 12:24:44 EST 2004

On Nov 28, 2004, at 10:18 AM, Cord Thomas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I see mixed results when querying google about issues like getShapes()
> where it appears some people are using the next generation API?  I am
> unclear - is this meant to be used now, or as place holder for future
> interfaces?
>
> I am working on a Perl mapserver application and would like to use the
> getShape(shapeindex) function, but it does not appear to be available
> in
> perl/mapscript_wrap.c - would this be available if i compiled mapserver
> with the NEXT_GENERATION_API directive?  and how do i do that?
>
> Thank you
>
> Cord

Cord,

The next generation API experiment is over.  The useful parts are
now incorporated into the 4.4 mapscript API.  layerObj::getFeature
is the method that returns instances of shapeObj.  See the API
reference at mapserver/mapscript/doc/mapscript.txt for details.

Sean

--
Sean Gillies
sgillies at frii dot com