showing 2 landsat utm geotiff

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at UVA.NL
Sat Oct 2 10:37:05 EDT 2004

joerg p wrote:

> ok, I got it. This means I have to tell mapserver to project z32 as
> zone=32 and z33 as zone=33. The map I projected as zone=32, so now it
> takes a long time to reproject z33.
>
> So this is why using utm for a larger area isn't good..hhmmm... what
> should I use instead? LatLong?
>
> Joerg

Reprojecting one UTM zone into another is not a good idea, because the
projected image gets distorted. Ideally you should project *both* into
an appropriate projection for the whole region covered. You can look up
the available projections in a good atlas of the region you are
interested in.

Of course, this will take even more time. As a rule, it is not a good
idea to let MapServer do projections on the fly. Once you know your
target projection, us gdalwarp to project both base images into
projected ones. Gdalwarp can even combine them into one, and tile it in
smaller tiles for efficient rendering by MapServer. It is really an
amazing program.

Jan