No anti-aliasing for cartoline symbol?

William K woklist at CHARTER.NET
Fri Apr 1 13:06:44 EST 2005

I've been using cartolines for a while.  I think you need to specify
antialias in the STYLE for a class, not the symbol.  The antialias in
the SYMBOL definition (as Ken Lord said) is for truetype fonts.

Oh, not paying attention to your example, I see you do say antialias in
the style.  Hmm, foggy... memory... try specifying the linecap,
linejoin and linejoinmaxsize in your symbol, I think I may have had
problems when I didn't (all mine do now), even if you specify same as
the defaults.

It's been a while since I used the antialias for cartolines, tho - I
think it's a bit slow, or the quality wasn't all that great (I believe
it's done by GD?).  And if you still use normal lines also in a map,
there will be a mix of aliasing and antialiasing.

I switched to a different method that gives accross-the-board
antialiasing - design and draw the map at 2x or 4x size with no
antialiasing anywhere, then use PHP's image functions to resample the
image with antialiasing.  I find that the antialiasing produced this
way looks much better, closer to what I expect from using graphics
programs, even for font rendering.  Requires PHP-MapScript of course,
and a bit of programming, but it works fine.  Unless you have a fast
processor, the 4x will be pretty slow, but it looks better.  I even use
this method for generating high quality PDF output, instead of using
mapserver's builtin PDF output.

On Apr 1, 2005, at 9:11 AM, James Sohr wrote:

> Like so many others, I've used the circle symbol with various  sizes to
> draw my lines for the past few years.  The results have been pretty
> good,
> but the aliasing on the roads has always bothered me, especially when
> the
> true-type labels are beautfully anti-aliased right beside them.
>

> I recently read in the archives that the relatively new cartoline
> symbol
> supports anti-aliasing.  However, when I use the cartoline symbol and
> turn
> antialiasing on, the lines drawn are still aliased.
>

> I'm using Mapserver 4.5 on Windows XP with the latest GD library.  Is
> there something in my setup that is preventing the cartoline from being
> anti-aliased?  Does someone have an online example that shows the
> cartoline symbol being anti-aliased?

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at charter.net>
http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro