Install/Config Problems

Thu Apr 7 22:02:22 EDT 2005

Jeffrey,

In debian, and probably other systems it is possible to build a separate
version of mapserver and php that are outside the standard distributions
and then use then specifically in directories that are doing mapscript
and all the standard php stuff runs from the other directories.

Here is how I did it for using 4.0.1

# required by gd-2
sudo apt-get install libpng3 libpng3-dev
sudo apt-get install libjpeg62 libjpeg62-dev

# required by php4
sudo apt-get install libmysqlclient10-dev

# required by owt
sudo apt-get install libttf-dev libttf2

# For  curl-7.11.0.tar.gz
(
   cd curl-7.11.0
   echo '--------------------- curl-7.11.0 ------------------------'
   ./configure --prefix=/opt/mapserver/
   make
   sudo make install
)
sleep 5
# For  freetype-2.1.5.tar.gz
(
   cd freetype-2.1.5
   echo '-------------------- freetype-2.1.5 ----------------------'
   ./configure --prefix=/opt/mapserver/
   make
   sudo make install
)
sleep 5
# For  gd-2.0.21.tar.gz
(
   cd gd-2.0.21
   echo '---------------------- gd-2.0.21 --------------------------'
   ./configure --prefix=/opt/mapserver/ --with-freetype=/opt/mapserver/
   make
   sudo make install
)
sleep 5
# For  gdal-1.1.9.tar.gz
(
   cd gdal-1.1.9
   echo '--------------------- gdal-1.1.9 --------------------------'
   ./configure --prefix=/opt/mapserver/ --with-ogr --without-gif
   make
   sudo make install
)
sleep 5
# For  proj-4.4.7.tar.gz
(
   cd proj-4.4.7
   echo '--------------------- proj-4.4.7 --------------------------'
   ./configure --prefix=/opt/mapserver/
   make
   sudo make install
)
sleep 5
# For  expat-1.95.7.tar.gz
(
   cd expat-1.95.7
   echo '-------------------- expat-1.95.7 -------------------------'
   ./configure --prefix=/opt/mapserver/
   make
   sudo make install
)
sleep 5
# For  php-4.3.4.tar.gz
(
   cd mapserver-4.0.1
   ./configure \
     --with-httpd=/usr/sbin/apache \
     --with-proj=/opt/mapserver \
     --with-wmsclient \
     --with-gd=/opt/mapserver \
     --with-freetype=/opt/mapserver \
     --with-gdal \
     --with-ogr=/opt/mapserver/bin/gdal-config \
     --with-php=../php-4.3.4 \
     --without-tiff \
     --enable-runpath \
     --without-xpm \
     --with-curl-config=/opt/mapserver/bin/curl-config
   make
   sudo mkdir /opt/mapserver/cgi-bin
   sudo cp mapserv scalebar legend /opt/mapserver/cgi-bin/
   sudo cp mapscript/php3/php_mapscript.so /opt/mapserver/php4/extensions/
)

After this you need config apache with a <Directory ..>
block that uses the /opt/mapserver/cgi-bin/php version you built above
for any php scripts and then keep all you php/mapscript scripts in this
directory tree. Any php scripts out side the directory tree will use
system version of php whatever that is.

Hope this helps,
   -Steve W.