Problem with MODIS images

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 12 09:27:49 EDT 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 9:08 AM, Marco Marsella <m.marsella at itworks.it> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am having problems with some MODIS images. They show as skewed white
> squares on black background. I attach a small screen capture GIF.
> Mapserver is 4.4.1, gdalinfo --formats reports

Marco,

You neglected to explain what you consider to be the problem.
Is it the black edging that you want to get rid of?  Or is the problem
that the image area is saturated to white?

Your MODIS image data is 16 bit.  By default MapServer
just reads the data into an 8bit buffer, converting all values over
255 to 255, and all values below 0 to 0.  I imagine you will want
to scale the values.  If you read the RASTER HOWTO I think
you will find that scaling is covered there.  The quick approach
is to add the following to your raster layer.

  PROCESSING "SCALE=AUTO"

Best regards,