HPGN Datum?

Dean C. Mikkelsen dcmikkelsen at SHAW.CA
Mon Apr 25 00:56:42 EDT 2005

Hi Bill,

Here is some information for you about HPGN and HARN.

HPGN and HARN

HPGN (High Precision Geodetic Network) and HARN (High Accuracy Reference
Network) are synonymous. They are both names for the same project that
is focused on readjusting the NAD83 datum to a higher level of accuracy
state by state. HARN/HPGN is more accurate form of the North American
Datum.

What you are experiencing in Florida is that network of points that
defines the HPGN/HARN is based on NAD83, but that local states often try
to make denser grids and hence come up with better transformation
parameters.

The EPSG data model does incorporate the HARN information for Florida -
based also on the SPCS zones.

Looking at the files found in the PROJ.4 library, it appears as though
the code you are using epsg:26759 is based on NAD27. This is where I
would say the problem is occurring. If you use epsg:26959 this should
solve the problem and will match with the HARN/HPGN.

Cheers,
Dean

Dean C. Mikkelsen,B.Sc.,P.Eng.
Principal Consultant
Terra ETL Ltd. - Consultants on GIS & Geodesy
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Phone: 604-929-8630
E-mail: dcmikkelsen at shaw.ca