WFS Client Problems

Jeffrey Johnson ortelius at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 28 17:57:06 EDT 2005

Hello list,

I am having trouble getting mapserver to properly retrieve and display
data via wfs, and wanted to see if anyone can help. Mapserver is
compiled with wfs and wms client support and the wms client works
fine.

Ok, here is the layer definition in my map file.

        LAYER
                NAME countries
                TYPE POLYGON
                STATUS ON
                CONNECTIONTYPE WFS
                CONNECTION "http://webservices.ionicsoft.com/unData/wfs/UN?"
                METADATA
                        "wfs_service"           "WFS"
                        "wfs_typename"       "wfs:COUNTRY"
                        "wfs_version"           "1.0.0"
                END
                PROJECTION
                        "init=epsg:4326"
                END
                CLASS
                        TEMPLATE "dummy.html"
                        OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
                END
        END

Note: dummy.html doesn't actually exist, but I dont think it has to???

There are no errors returned with this layer is activated, but the
output in the IMAGEPATH dir looks like this, and nothing is drawn.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' ?> <ogcwfs:FeatureCollection
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.ionicsoft.com/wfs
http://webservices.ionicsoft.com/unData/wfs/UN?REQUEST=DescribeAllFeatureType&amp;SERVICE=WFS
http://www.opengis.net/wfs
http://webservices.ionicsoft.com/unData/wfs/UN/REQUEST/get/DATA/LPR/wfs/basic.xsd"
xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml"
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
xmlns:ogcwfs="http://www.opengis.net/wfs">
<gml:boundedBy>      <gml:null>inapplicable</gml:null>
</gml:boundedBy>
</ogcwfs:FeatureCollection>

I assume that this means Mapserver made a request to the wfs server,
but no results were returned. First of all, how do I find out the
exact URL request made to the WFS server? I suppose that I may be able
to debug it this way. I can construct a url myself and the server
returns GML correctly.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff