SPAM!!!: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Shapefile to Mapfile

Sylvain Beorchia sbeorchia at GI-LEMANS.COM
Wed Dec 21 09:12:27 EST 2005

Hi,

"According to our knowledge , a shapefile consists of only one particular
geometric shape."
Yes, right.

" The map file's function is to combine all the shapefiles together n their
segregation into their respective layers. Plz validate this information. "
Yes, if u want.

If you have 3 shapefiles (one for the points, another for the line, and the
last one for the polygons), then you have to describe three layer in your
mapfile. The first one will be of type POINT and the DATA will point to the
shapefile that contains the points...he second layer will be of type LINE

"we want to know as to how do we know what are the contents of a shapefile "
I don't understand what youe mean by that. The shapefiles are yours, so you
know what's inside..., no ?

"We know that shapefile is a combination of .shp , .shx  and .dbf files.
However how can we read the data from these files ."
Well , mapserver will display the contents of the shapefiles (ie draw an
image). If you want to read the attributes in the DBF file, then you have to
write some PHP code...for example.

Hope it will help you.

Sylvain Beorchia