Raster Analysis and MapServer

Martin Hoegh mh at SVAJ.DK
Thu Dec 22 03:38:32 EST 2005

Hi,
I also use Grass for backend. I've written a python script using pexpect to
start and "drive" a grass session. In this way I can use grass's modules
through the script as if I was sitting in front of the terminal. The python
script exposes its functions via SOAP, which allows me to call the script
with what ever I want - normally php. The down side is that grass is not
thread safety, which means you can't start more than one session in a mapset
at the time. My script waits in a loop until the previous spawned session
ends. This is not good for heavy traffic! After calling grass you can use
MapServer to render and display the map, neither directly from the grass
database or let grass export the data to a image file.

Martin