character encoding handling different for labels and query results

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at UMB.NO
Wed Jan 12 10:45:42 EST 2005

I have a mapserver application that handles data from
PostgreSQL/Postgis and shapefiles. My PostgreSQL database
uses UNICODE for character encoding.

When a labelled map is rendered, all characters show up as
expected in the image.
In the results of a query (a HTML-page), however, the strings
from PostgreSQL are coded using UNICODE, while the strings
from the shapefile are coded elsewise (ISO-8859-1?).

If I use "convert(<textfield>, 'LATIN11')" instead of "<textfield>"
in my data string, my text shows up nicely in both cases.

Is this the way it is meant to be?

--
Håvard Tveite
Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology