Mapserver startup: Step 2

Bernard de Bono bdb at EBI.AC.UK
Fri Jan 21 06:27:32 EST 2005

Dear All,

Thank you for your responses and suggested links.

I have downloaded a few map files, as suggested (but so far I am not
sure how to access their content).

Questions:
1) Is there a specific directory where the map data should be stored?
2) Is there a Perl equivalent to the PHP Recipe set? My knowledge of PHP
is somewhat limited. I plan to use Perl + MySQL (as I have some
experience in the area).

Status so far: mapserver is installed and seems to respond when evoked
through apache. The next step involves:

(1) establishing basic set instructions the server responds to (i.e.
those four or five commands one uses most of the time), and perhaps more
importantly,
(2) understand how these instructions may reach the server. I would also
appreciate any indications as to the basic syntax of imparting commands
via (a) the webbrowser and (2) via command line.

I look forward to your feedback and comments.

Regards,

Bernard