Other spatial database development (PostGIS)

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Thu Jul 7 14:58:57 EDT 2005

Guys, I am happy to spec this out again, but frankly I fear that most
solutions will remain in the "moderately ugly hack" domain, ala
PgArc. I have investigated more elegant things (oledb) but the signs
are not promising (http://arcgisdeveloperonline.esri.com/
ArcGISDeveloper/ExtendingArcObjects/Ch07/AboutOLEDBProviders.htm).
Principally, the continuing lack of an Oracle Spatial third party
read/write extension on the market says to me that such a thing is
just technically not possible to do attractively. If it were, someone
would have written it by now and be making money on it. If anyone
knows of such a thing, please do tell, it would be a good positive
sign of possible success.

Paul