Splitting/tiling a raster

Stefan Schwarzer stefan.schwarzer at GRID.UNEP.CH
Tue Jul 12 05:39:36 EDT 2005

Hi,

this subject is really not new. But I haven't found any real how-to
for the whole story. Perhaps somebody could clarify the steps needed.
when starting with an image of some larger size and when ending with
a tiled raster. Cause I guess that' what has to be done.
- At least I have now one single big raster. As far as I understood I
need to split the big image into smaller ones. But how?
- And then I can use gdaltindex to build the shapefile to define the
tiles. Right?

Thanks for clarification.