MIT OrthoServer vs. UMN Mapserver

Arno roeder arno.roeder at FH-WEIHENSTEPHAN.DE
Tue Jul 12 06:24:38 EDT 2005

Our current Mapserver application
http://maps.la.fh-weihenstephan.de:8080/habitalp/overview.html
runs for 11 protected areas in the alps. The HABITALP-project aims for
mapping of habitats based on aerial photographies. One task is the
presentation of the landuse cover and the orthophotos with the Mapserver.

Therefore I degraded the original orthophotos with a ground resolution
of 0,2m to 1m for the max. scale of 1:2.500. Totally that would mean
about 30 GB of imagery. Furthermore, I made some tiles with smaller
resolution for smaller scales. In the mapfile I put the different
resolutions to layers (eg ortho1, ortho2, ortho3) of one group (eg ortho).

Would a OrthoServer significant faster?
Arno