off topic: earth.google.com

Daniele Margotti margottid at COMUNE.LUGO.RA.IT
Sat Jul 23 03:39:10 EDT 2005

You said:
9. You can overlay data (vectors and raster) from your computer.
10. You can connect to web data sources (like WMS with about 10 lines of
server-based scripting).

So, how can overlay data? Can I overlay a shape file? How can I define
colour, labels, and so on (as in a Mapserver mapfile)?

And how can I connect to a web data source like WMS?
I have a webserver with Mapserver configured for WMS/WFS requests, how
can I tell Google Earth to connect to my Mapserver?

	Daniele

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Brent Fraser
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 4:58 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] off topic: earth.google.com

Flavio,

  Google Earth (not to be confused with Google Maps) is more than just
mind blowing.  In my business (Satellite imagery sales and service) it's
world shaking.

The top ten things I like about Google Earth:

 1. It's free, with upgrades for a fee.
 2. The entire world (almost) is covered with pan-sharpened Landsat (15m
pixels).  3. All (most?, some?) of Digital Globe's Quickbird imagery is
shown (0.6m pixels).  4. The user-interface is dead simple.  5. The
fade-in/fade-out of vectors and annotation on zooming is great.  6. The
performance fantastic (like streaming video).  7. It's 3d. You can tilt
the world and fly thought canyons.  8. It's even more 3d. It will render
3d objects such as buildings.  9. You can overlay data (vectors and
raster) from your computer. 10. You can connect to web data sources
(like WMS with about 10 lines of server-based scripting).

The application: http://earth.google.com (after install, do View -> Play
Tour)
The community: http://bbs.keyhole.com

Brent Fraser