off topic: earth.google.com

Andy Canfield andy.canfield at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 23 13:17:29 EDT 2005

I wrote a simple writer the other day to translate all my companies relevant
telecom design from AutoCAD DWG's into kml format which is what
Keyhole(Google Earth) uses. The file spec is
here:http://www.keyhole.com/kml/kml_doc.html
It reminds me a lot of SVG without all the weird path stuff you have to deal
with in SVG. It's mostly a display format and there isn't a real good way to
store much information so that the user can access it. Basically what you
display on the screen in the form of labels or the little blurb you can put
in as a description is about it. So writing a translator isn't hard you just
bring the geometries over. Everything must be in WGS84 or it won't display
correctly. Also you will have to break your data sets up if you have large
ones because it gets really, really, really slow as it seems to have to parse
the entire xml document in order to load it. Which is weird because they
buffer the imagery as it comes in but they have to parse the entire document
before they can load the geometry rather than draw it as it parses. Double
buffering would be even better but it seems like everything in the interface
other than the Satellite imagery was put in as an after thought. I put 1,400
boundaries into it and that dataset usually takes a second or two to load
into MapInfo or ArcGIS takes 15 to 30 seconds to load into Keyhole. Just for
fun I tried loading in 650,000 polylines that are aerial data routes in an
eleven county area and that took 45 plus minutes to load on a dual Zeon
processor machine. So definitely break up your data sets and let the users
load them when they need them vice making seamless data sets. On Monday if
anyone is interested I can put up some screen shots of what a telecom(VoIP
and HSI) network loaded into Keyhole looks like.
Thanks,
Andy