mapserver tif projections

Douglass Davis douglass_davis at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Jul 28 14:39:21 EDT 2005

Hello All,

I just got an elevation tif file (w/aux,prj, and tfw) from the seamless
data distribution center: http://seamless.usgs.gov/.  I am still trying
to understand projections, I read through the tutorial and user manual
and looked through the proj4 documentation, but I am still not really
sure how to do this.

Now, I know it uses Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area Projection. But, how do
I represent this projection in a map file, and pass the needed
parameters into proj4?

I tried putting this in my Raster tif layer:

    PROJECTION
      "proj=laea"
      "lon_0=100.00w"
      "lat_0=45.00n"
    END

But it didn't work.  Can some one help me with getting the correct
parameters to put in the map file?

In the metadata it has:

Spatial_Domain:

    Bounding_Coordinates:

        West_Bounding_Coordinate:-84.84957627
        East_Bounding_Coordinate:-74.99646893
        North_Bounding_Coordinate:37.47563559
        South_Bounding_Coordinate:33.16490113

    <>

    <>

    <>
    <>
    Spatial_Reference_Information:

        Horizontal_Coordinate_System_Definition:

            Planar:

                Map_Projection:

                    Map_Projection_Name: Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area
                    Lambert_Azimuthal_Equal_Area:

                        Longitude_of_Projection_Center: -100.00
                        Latitude_of_Projection_Center: 45.00
                        False_Easting: 0.0
                        False_Northing: 0.0

                Planar_Coordinate_Information:

                    Planar_Coordinate_Encoding_Method: Row and column
                    Coordinate_Representation:

                        Abscissa_Resolution: 1000.0
                        Ordinate_Resolution: 1000.0

                    Planar_Distance_Units: Meters