Two layers in two different projections

Daniele Margotti margottid at COMUNE.LUGO.RA.IT
Thu Jun 16 09:24:53 EDT 2005

Hi all,
I have a map in UTM projection (indicated in "MAP" section of the
mapfile):

MAP
 PROJECTION
  "proj=utm"
 END
END

No other projections are indicated in any "LAYER" section.
Every layer is based on shapefiles.

Now I want to add a layer: another shapefile that is in Cassini-Soldner
projection.

To see the coordinates of a queried feature, I launch this php script:

<?
$Mappa=ms_newMapObj($map);
$Mappali=$Mappa->getLayerByName("Mappali");

if (@$Mappali->queryByAttributes('PARTKEY', 'E730   50  118', MS_SINGLE)
== MS_SUCCESS) {
 $Index = $Mappali->getResult(0);
 $Mappali->open();
 $Shape=$Mappali->getShape(-1,$Index->shapeindex);
 $minx=$Shape->bounds->minx;
 $miny=$Shape->bounds->miny;
 $maxx=$Shape->bounds->maxx;
 $maxy=$Shape->bounds->maxy;
 $Mappali->close();
 $x=($minx+$maxx)/2;
 $y=($miny+$maxy)/2;
 echo $x." - ".$y;
}
?>

and I obtain two values for x and y center point.

But if I add a "PROJECTION" section to my new layer, whatever projection
I give, I obtain always the same X-Y values!
Is it normal?

How can I check coordinates of my point in different projections (and
see what projection is right)?

I give these parameters for my new layer:

LAYER
 PROJECTION
  "proj=cass"
  "ellps=bessel"
  "lat_0=44.5318797222" #  44° 31’ 54.767"
  "lon_0=2.8320858333"  # 2° 49' 55.509"
  "units=m"
  "no_defs"
 END
END

Are these parameters right?
Do I need ohter parameters for Cassini-Soldner (e.g., False Easting and
False Northing) and, if so, how should I define them (e.g.: x_0=...,
y_0=... )?

I have the newest versions of Mapserver and graphic libraries, installed
on a Linux Red Hat 9:

[root at linuxd1 cgi-bin]# ./mapserv -v
MapServer version 4.6.0 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=PDF OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE
SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT INPUT=EPPL7
INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

[root at linuxd1 cgi-bin]# proj
Rel. 4.4.9, 29 Oct 2004

Thank you for your help,