OT: Why isn't PHP in Interactive Web Mapping

Arnulf B. Christl arnulf.christl at CCGIS.DE
Tue Mar 1 08:54:38 EST 2005

Wouter Schaubroeck wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know, it's a bit off topic, but i thought it would be an interesting
> discussion:
> Nowadays, for Interactive web mapping, ASP, Coldfusion and Java Servlets
> are common used as CGI replacement, but why is PHP not? I don't have to
> convince you all about the powers of php... Is there a reason why php is
> left behind? Is it perhaps it's open source and it depends on the
> goodwill of volunteers? Or is Microsoft using its powers? Or Macromedia
> (Coldfusion)?
>
> grtz
> Wouter Schaubroeck
>
> Student at the Ghent University

Mabye I dont quite understand what you mean - but there are several web
mapping clients out there implemented in PHP. Have a look at these two
OS projects which I know to be productive and stable:
http://www.mapbender.org/
http://chameleon.maptools.org/

Best, Arnulf.