All Tiger data for download?

Jeff Hoffmann jeff at PROPERTYKEY.COM
Thu Mar 3 21:04:52 EST 2005

On Mar 3, 2005, at 7:31 PM, Gregor Mosheh wrote:

> A year or so ago I downloaded the entire TIGER set,
> and discovered that the TIGER data doesn't align with
> other datasets. (There was a thread on this a month or
> three later, that apparently this is a known problem.)
>
> So as long as we're on the topic of grabbing all TIGER
> data, I thought I'd re-ask the question of whether the
> TIGER data is geographically correct and therefore
> usable.

They're working on it.  They contracted out with some company to fix
it, but my understanding is it's an 8 year project & they're still
pretty early into the deal.  The 2004 TIGER has somewhere in the
neighborhood of 300 counties with improved data, though, so if you're
interested in those select areas, you're probably in luck.  I've
personally checked one of those counties against that county's GIS
parcel base & they line up pretty well, so there's reason for hope.
The list of improved counties is at
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tiger2004fe/tlfe04cty.txt if you're
interested.

--