All Tiger data for download?

Schuyler Erle schuyler at NOCAT.NET
Fri Mar 4 12:36:22 EST 2005

* On  4-Mar-2005 at  9:17AM PST, Camden Daily said:
> As far as equipment that I'll need for this, do you know how much disk
> space the postgres database of all of the tiger data is going to take,
> or how much room the final shapefiles will consume?  I just need to
> gauge what type of hardware I'll need to do this process.

Expect the uncompressed database to take up 40 or so gigabytes.

> Also, when ogr2ogr extracts the info from postgres, is it easy to
> place each layer/state/county in a different directory for easier use
> with tileindexing?

If you want to do that, I would probably write a meta-script that runs
through the TIGER/Line files and discards/rebuilds the database after
each county. If you actually want the PostGIS database but still want
to extract Shapefiles, you can build county polygons from the
CompleteChain rows with the side1 column set, and then do some fancy
polygon queries to extract data by county, I expect.

SDE