Figure out the XY position on the resulting map of a point

Paul Spencer pspencer at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Sun Mar 6 17:10:03 EST 2005

Hi James.

Assuming your output projection is not lat/lon, you can create a point
object and reproject it into the map's projection and do the same
calculation.  Here's some (untested) code that should work:

$oProjIn = ms_newProjectionObj("init=epsg:4326");
$oProjOut = ms_newProjectionObj($oMap->getProjection());
$oPoint = ms_newPointObj();
$oPoint->setXY( $lon, $lat );
$oPoint->project( $oProjIn, $oProjOut );

$px = Geo2Pix( $oPoint->x, 0, $oMap->width
                $oMap->extent->minx, $oMap->extent->maxx, false );

$py = Geo2Pix( $oPoint->y, 0, $oMap->height
                $oMap->extent->miny, $oMap->extent->maxy, true );

/**
  * convert a geocoded position to pixel coord
  *
  * @param nGeoPos double Geocoded position
  * @param dfPixMin double minimum map pixel value
  * @param dfPixMax double maximum map pixel value
  * @param dfGeoMin double minimum map geocoded value
  * @param dfGeoMax double maximum map geocoded value
  * @param nInverseGeo integer optional flag to inverse , set to 1 for
  *                            Y pixel coordinates where UL > LR
  * @return double geocoded position
  */
function Geo2Pix ($nGeoPos, $dfPixMin, $dfPixMax, $dfGeoMin,
                      $dfGeoMax, $nInverseGeo = "")
{
     // calculate the geocoded & pixel width
     $dfWidthGeo = abs($dfGeoMax - $dfGeoMin);
     $dfWidthPix = abs($dfPixMax - $dfPixMin);

     // get ratio
     if ( $dfWidthGeo <= 0 )
     {
         return 0;
     }
     $dfGeoToPix = $dfWidthPix / $dfWidthGeo;

     // get difference
     if (!$nInverseGeo)
         $dfDeltaGeo = $nGeoPos - $dfGeoMin;
     else
         $dfDeltaGeo = $dfGeoMax - $nGeoPos;

     // calculate
     $dfDeltaPix = $dfDeltaGeo * $dfGeoToPix;
     $dfPosPix = $dfPixMin + $dfDeltaPix;

     // return value
     return round ($dfPosPix);

     // end pixel_to_geo function