Mapserver Newby requests help

David Bitner osgis.lists at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 11 13:57:38 EST 2005

Perhaps the best way to get started is to try to get Mapserver up and
running.  If you work in a windows environment, the MS4W suite is a
good place to get started.  It includes the Apache Web Server and
Mapserver in executables that can be used without even being
installed.  From there, I would take a look at the Itasca demos to see
how basic Mapserver CGI code works.

Since you are in the Twin Cities area, the Twin Cities Mapserver Users
Group (TCMUG -- subscribe to that list at
http://lists.umn.edu/archives/tcmug.html) is tentativley planning a
Mapserver Install Fest either the end of this month or sometime next
month where some more advanced Mapserver Users could help you get
Mapserver installed and show you some of the basics one on one.  Also,
there will be some good workshops at the Users Meeting in June
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/mum/mtg2005.html) for learning Mapserver
and other Open Source GIS software.