Mapserver and SDE, one trivial question, one informational question

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Mon Mar 14 16:15:07 EST 2005

Farber, Saul (ENV) wrote:

> 2)  Completely unrelated to the first question: how does mapserver
> handle Database connections (SDE in particular) with regards to
> scalability?

Better now than before. If you run in "fast cgi" mode, you can cut down
on the large SDE connection overhead. We have benchmarked fcgi mapserver
very competitively against IMS.

> Are new DB connections created every time that a map request is sent?

Not in fcgi mode.

> Are database connections pooled in any way?

In fcgi, they are pooled in a per-database way.

> Are the different layers in
> a map request rendered sequentially, or in parallel?

Sequentially for most data sources, in parallel for WMS client requests
(sort of, the HTTP requests go out in parallel, the rendering is still
serial once they have all returned).

Yours,

Paul