puzzling error message: arString(): Unable to access file. adLabelString()

Rodrigo Severo rodrigo.lists at FABRICADEIDEIAS.COM
Wed Mar 16 08:09:23 EST 2005

Bruce,

I faced exactly the same problem you are experiencing now. I used php
4.3.10 with the same results so it probably isn't a php issue.

The only "solution" I found was not to use php/mapscript at all. I could
get no answer from the list, neither when I reported my problem, nor
when I reported my "solution" of getting rid of php/mapscript to fix
mapserver.

As far as I can tell, if you enable php/mapscript in a Linux (maybe
Unix) environment, the whole mapserver suite gets broken/unusable.

I'm about to start building an application that will use mapserver and
it seems that I won't be able to use php/mapscript, sadly.

My advice: stay away from php/mapscript until someone with the
appropriate resources decide to look at/fix this issue. I already
offered my help to debug/test any changes and this offer is still valid,
obviously.

I hope this info is of some help to you,

Rodrigo Severo

Bruce Raup wrote:

>I have narrowed down my problem (described below).  I repeatedly built
>MapServer, adding more features each time, and it worked until I added
>phpmapscript:
>
>             --with-php=/usr/include/php                \
>             --with-php-regex-dir=/home/braup/Builds/php-4.3.4/regex
>
>It appears that the error messages in memory are not being handled
>properly, as each unsuccessful build, the details of the message
>changed.  Now it is
>
>  "sLoadMapString(): Unable to access file. on() "
>
>I think someone else recently wrote with a similar problem with php
>mapscript.  If this isn't already a known bug, should I do something
>other than this message to report it?  Are there any work-arounds?

Rodrigo Severo
Fábrica de Idéias
SBS -Ed. Empire Center Sala 1301 - Cobertura
Fone: (61) 321 1357
Fax: (61) 223 1712
Brasília/DF

When your only tool is a hammer,
all of your problems start looking like nails.
                                  -- Mark Twain