tileindexed layer crashing...

Ethan Alpert ealpert at DIGITALGLOBE.COM
Fri Mar 18 11:36:38 EST 2005

Jeff, I don't see a MAX/MIN scale statment. You sure your machine just
couldn't handle it? Reading and displaying everything in the tiger
shapefiles might be too much for your machine, but I'm just speculating.
It would be helpful to know if you can draw individual layers from the
shapefiles without the tile index.

-e

        -----Original Message-----
        From: UMN MapServer Users List
[mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Jeff Portwine
        Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 8:41 AM
        To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
        Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] tileindexed layer crashing...

        This morning I tried to add a tileindexed layer to my mapfile.
After adding it and trying to view my mapfile, apache ran away with all
the systems memory until it crashed.   I have no idea what I did
wrong...

        I downloaded all of the tiger2004 shapefiles and unzipped them
into a single directory.
        In that directory, I did:
        tile4ms data_dir.in tiger-roads
        shptree tiger-roads
        cat data_dir.in | xargs-n 1 shptree

        I added this layer:
          LAYER
             NAME tiger_streets
             STATUS off
             TYPE line
             TILEINDEX tiger-roads

             PROJECTION
             "proj=latlong"
             END
             CLASSITEM "CFCC"
             CLASS
               NAME "Interstate"
               EXPRESSION ([CFCC]=A15)
               COLOR 200 0 0
               SYMBOL 'interstate'
             END
          END

        When I tried to view the map it blew up.   The server I was
using happened to also be our mailserver... so causing this machine to
go unstable and require a reboot is a very bad thing and thus i'm being
forced to move my mapserver work to another server.   I've been googling
all morning but I can't seem to find the debian package for mapserver
4.4.1 again... anybody know where I can find that?   I wish I could
remember where I got it last time.

        Thanks,
        Jeff