tileindexed layer crashing...

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 19 09:42:14 EST 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 21:29:16 -0500, Mark Dieterich <mdieterich at gmail.com> wrote:
> So two seconds after I finished typing up this message, I wondered
> whether having the the NAME field and the TILEINDEX field within a LAYER
> have the same value was causing problems.  It appears to be the problem.
>   Once I renamed the NAME field, I got a map.  Did I just miss this in
> the  doc?

Mark,

For MapServer 4.4 I believe Steve added the ability for a layer
to use another specialized "tileindex" layer as it's tileindex instead
of just referring to an external file.  I suspect he decides which case
applies by searching for a layer with the same name as the "tileindex"
argument which in your case recurses back to the same layer.

This would explain your problems.

I would suggest you file a bug report on this for Steve, with perhaps
the suggestion that:
 o We not use SDE error for this particular error message.
 o that the search for a tileindex layer should exclude the current layer.
 o Perhaps something can be done to improve the error message to make
    it clear a tileindex layer is being used.

I could be all wrong about what is going on of course.

Best regards,