Mapscript PHP Error - failed to map segment from shared object

Aaron Racicot aaronr at ECOTRUST.ORG
Mon Mar 21 14:48:05 EST 2005

I am no expert at the shared library stuff, but my guess is that you did
not tell the web server where to locate PHP includes.  Below is what I
did to set up PHP on my Fedora Core 3 box, maybe it will help.  I think
you might need to focus on the "extension_dir" variable in the php.ini
file.  It looks like your web server is looking in /usr/lib/php4/

Here is a snip of my installation history:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
First get the new version:
mkdir php
cd php
wget http://us2.php.net/get/php-4.3.10.tar.gz/from/this/mirror
tar -xzvf php-4.3.10.tar.gz
cd php-4.3.10

./configure --enable-force-cgi-redirect
--with-config-file-path=/etc/httpd/ --with-gd=/usr/local
--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/lib --with-png-dir=/usr/lib --wit
h-tiff-dir=/usr/lib --with-zlib-dir=/usr/lib --with-freetype-dir
--without-ttf --with-mysql --with-regex=system --enable-dbase
--enable-dbx --enable-ve
rsioning --with-pgsql=/usr/local/pgsql

make
make install

strip sapi/cgi/php
cp sapi/cgi/php /var/www/cgi-bin/
cp php.ini-dist /etc/httpd/php.ini

Made the following mod to /etc/httpd/php.ini:
; Directory in which the loadable extensions (modules) reside.
;extension_dir = "./"
extension_dir = "/etc/httpd/php_mods"

mkdir /etc/httpd/php_mods
------>>>>>>>>> This is where the Mapscript .so will go...

Added the following to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

#
# For PHP scripts as CGI-BIN
#
AddType application/x-httpd-php-cgi .php .php4 .php3 .phtml
Action  application/x-httpd-php-cgi /cgi-bin/php

Now re-start the server:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart
Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]

| Aaron Racicot  | aaronr at ecotrust.org   |
| GIS Programmer | 503.467.0759          |
| e c o t r u s t                        |
| Jean Vollum Natural Capital Center     |
| 721 NW Ninth Avenue                    |
| Suite 200                              |
| Portland, OR 97209                     |
| www.ecotrust.org                       |