mapscript installation on debian

Jeff Portwine jdport at VERITIME.COM
Wed Mar 23 09:55:24 EST 2005

I had the same problem for a bit.... trying to install mapserver, php4, and
apache all from debian packages turned out to simply not work for me.    The
only way to get php to run nicely with apache was to run in CGI mode instead
of DSO.. but the version of mapscript that I was able to get with apt-get
won't allow you to run in CGI mode.     In the end, I downloaded, compiled,
and installed php and apache myself  and then afterwords I did the apt-get
install php4-mapscript and that works perfectly.

I'm using apache-1.3.33 and php-4.3.10, this is basically what I did:

cd apache-1.3.33
./configure --enable-module=so
make
make install

cd php-4.3.10
./configure --with-pgsql --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs
(I needed postgres support in php, you may not need that)
make
make install

apt-get install php4-mapscript
apt-get install gdal-bin (for gd utilities such as ogr2ogr)

Hope that helps,
Jeff