tileindex tiif tfw files

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 24 09:36:27 EST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:17:23 +0100, Jose Luis Gonzalez
<joseluismapserver at yahoo.es> wrote:
> Hello
> I am beggining working with tileindexing and I don't know how it works very
> well. I don't have geotiff files, what I have are tiff files and .tfw files
> with the same name associated with them.
> So my question is, when I construct the .shp file using the gdaltindex
> utility do I have to include the .tfw files? Or later in the map file do I
> have to refer them in some way?
> In general, how do I have to manage myself with these type of files when
> managing tileindexing.

Jose,

If you TIFF files do not contain geotiff info then gdaltindex will look for
the corresponding .tfw (or .wld) file and use it instead.  Likewise MapServer
will utilize the world file.  You should refer to the .tif files when invoking
gdaltindex or directly using tiff files with world files in MapServer.  But
you *do* need to keep the .tfw files with the .tif files.

Best regards,