WMS and WFS connections

Stefanie Weykam sweykam at TELELINE.ES
Tue Mar 29 12:49:11 EST 2005

I am preparing my application for WMS (or WFS), but the more I read the more
I get confused...

I am actually trying things by using the same application from home (as
client) to office (the server), retrieving some layers from the remote
server. I thought I better start with something simple - the WMS connection.
Results:
GetCapabilities - OK
DescribeLayer - OK (very little information though, just the layer name)
GetMap - OK
The WMS layer displays on my map.....but
....how do I get the layer (class) name and symbol into my legend?
What's the syntax for the GetLegendGraphic request? So far I only get the
following Exception back: Mandatory LAYER parameter missing in
GetLegendGraphic request

I would also like to be able to do very simple queries: at least to find the
features (points) of my WMS layer by point queries on the map. The map query
works fine with my local layers, but not with the WMS layer. I tried sending
the request GetFeatureInfo and Query_layers This requires map coordinates -
but how do I specify these parameters? ..by adding "&X=197&Y=144" for
example?? The ServiceException code says that the layer given in the LAYERS
parameter is invalid... (yes, the layer IS queryable)
Shouldn't the click on the map just do the job anyway?

Well, since WFS seems to be more adequate I tried the WFS connection.
GetCapabilities - OK
DescribeFeature - OK
GetFeature - OK
And the WFS layer is displayed on my map, appears in the legend and is
queryable, BUT I have to specify the class expression and name and colors...
How would a potential client application know? I guess, by studying the XML
document on each feature?
Or do I have to make up a GML document? Where would I deposit such a
document?

More questions:
Can I set up just one map file which suits both WMS and WFS connections? I
am actually using two map files, one having "wms_ ... and the other one
"wfs_.... parameters. Well, actually three map files, the third is the one
my application is based on but it contains additional data layers which are
not (yet) mend to be shared. Its quite enoying to maintain three files.

Thanks for your comments,
Stefanie