Reprojecting to UTM

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 29 11:07:11 EST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:39:32 -0800, Andy Canfield
<andy.canfield at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking through the epsg file from proj4 and all I see for units
> for UTM is meters. We map in UTM feet is there any way to get
> mapserver to reproject data coming in from UTM with units of meters to
> UTM with units of feet? I know all the ellipsoid parameters ect for
> UTM with feet as units. If their is no built in way can I define my
> own code and have it be properly reprojected based on the parameters I
> list in my custom code? If it is possible what do I need to put in the
> epsg file and does anybody have an example of doing this?

Andy,

You can describe a foot based coordinate system to PROJ.4 or from
MapServer like this:

 PROJECTION
    "+proj=utm +zone=11 +datum=NAD83 +units=us-ft"
 END

However, if you want to serve using WMS, you will need an EPSG
code.  You *could* just dummy up a fake EPSG code for your
coordinate system, by adding to the /usr/local/share/epsg file, but
ultimately this defeats interoperability as no other system is going to
know what your faked up code is.

Best regards,