MapScript binaries for c# / .NET

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Thu Mar 31 14:49:12 EST 2005

On Mar 31, 2005, at 12:23 PM, Morten Nielsen wrote:

>> I really don't know anything about Morten Neilsen's dotNetMapScript,
>> or
>> why this person would want to stay apart from the mainstream of the
>> MapServer project and try to re-brand one part of the MapServer
>> software.
>
> There seems to be a misconception of what we are trying to do. All we
> want
> to do is work with the SWIG/C# dll that Sean has been working on, and
> create
> ASP.NET usercontrols that interface MapServer, and hopefully later
> increase
> the performance by using a .NET service approach.
>
> We are NOT working on any new mapscript DLL's  (yet anyway :-).
>
> I am impressed with MapServer, but "unfortunately" I'm also a very
> happy
> ASP.NET developer. I think that MapServer lacks better documentation
> and
> support for us ASP.NET developers. Sean who made a great job on the C#
> module hasn't even tried it on a Windows platform, so I guess that
> proves my
> point :-) This is where we want to make all things better! ;-)
>
> We are still at an early stage. Right now we are only at a point where
> we
> play around with different compilation settings and trying to create a
> few
> apps that uses Mapserver to generate maps. We have an open forum on our
> website devoted to any OpenSource/.NET based GIS project. MapServer is
> our
> main focus at this point, but more will hopefully come.
>
> Regards
> Morten Nielsen
> www.dotnetgis.net

Hi Morten,

I can't take any credit for the C# mapscript module.  It was
contributed by Y.K. Choo and all I did was make a couple suggestions,
review it, and commit it.  I am glad for all that it is only my
misconception, and apologize to you.  I was concerned that there might
be yet another mapscript out there that would further confuse an
already confusing situation.  But if that is not the case, I am
relieved.

cheers,
Sean

--