About ShapeTree and Raster TileIndex

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 16 10:59:21 EDT 2005

On 5/16/05, Akio Neuchi <neuchi at tci-com.biz> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> I see what you mean. The volume and size do matter.
> By the way, instead of Gif, how would be Tiff or GeoTiff?
> People told me Tiffs are bigger and less efficient to render map images.
> And what is good using GeoTiff instead of just Tiff?

Akio,

If space is significant, you might consider creating a tiled and
deflate compressed GeoTIFF file.  The tiling ensures that only local
data needs to be decompressed to satisfy requests.  The deflate
compression provides similar (or better) compression than you would
normally get with gif.

However, there have been some problems with building overviews
on compressed TIFF files lately, so that might not be such a great
idea.

GeoTIFFs are TIFFs with coordinate system and georeferencing
information in them.  For your purposes TIFF + world file would likely
be fine.

Best regards,