Java Mapscript - problems loading .map file on windows - same code fine in linux

James Dracup jamesdracup at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 20 07:42:09 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm have a fairly annoying issue when trying to load a map file into a java
mapObj object when running in windows XP.  I'm using mapserver 4.8.3 as
distributed with ms4w 1.5.1 - i'm also using the mapscript.dll and
mapscript.jar as distributed with that ms4w.  My app is a servlet that runs
under tomcat 5.5, with a sun 1.5 jvm.  I'm fairly confident my paths etc.
are fine.

The java code really just boils down to one line:

mapObj mapobj = new mapObj(sMapFilename);

The exception is thrown by that statement.  And is..

java.lang.UnknownError: No such file or directory
	edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapscriptJNI.new_mapObj(Native Method)
	edu.umn.gis.mapscript.mapObj.<init>(mapObj.java:312)
	myapp.ModifiedMapObj.<init>(ModifiedMapObj.java:48)
	myapp.Test.doGet(Test.java:37)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:689)

I'm sure it finds my map file fine, as if you pass a messed up string it
gives a different error (java.io.IOException).

I'm also confident there's nothing wrong with my .map file as the test one
is simple (map file attached below anyway), everything is in the same
directory and it works fine with a cgi wms request on the same windows
machine.  And...
(here's the annoying bit)
..it also works fine when I deploy exactly the same compiled code with
exactly the same .map file and shp files on my linux (fedora) box.  On that
box it's a slightly different version of mapserver/mapscript (compiled them
myself), tomcat 5 not 5.5 and a sun 1.4 jvm - but still, why does the code
work on that box and not on windows?

If anyone has any ideas at all it would be much appreciated?

Thanks, James

---.map file contents---

#
# Start of WMS Server map file