randomly assigned COLOR 's?

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Fri Apr 21 13:46:48 EDT 2006

Brent,

Since your countries shapefile likely won't change very often, I would
go with your fallback solution.

It is always faster to pre-class your data.

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Brent Pedersen
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 11:41 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] randomly assigned COLOR 's?

hi,

with a map of the world with country boundaries and
using only the mapserver CGI, is it possible to have the countries
filled with one of ~5 different colors. either at random or
uniformly. is there a way to do this in the mapfile without relying
on attributes in the shapefile?

my fallback solution will be to add a column in the .shp and assign
number 1 - 5 to each country and use that in a map file EXPRESSION. i
thought maybe there was another means i was missing. something like
an automatic alternating color scheme... to help me do less work.

thanks,
-brent