Edit shape file in web MapServer application

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 1 17:06:27 EDT 2006

Hi Paolo,

> This is what I want to ask here, as I am new to mapscript and MapServer: is
> it safe to edit shapefile online, can be any thread or cuncurrency issues?
> At least in my ESRI experience with ArcIMS I know that they don't let you
> edit a shapefile if it is served on the web (ArcIMS locks it). If you need
> to edit data you need ArcSDE.
> So it is strange to me that MapServer give you this edit possibilites, but
> maybe (I couldn't find anywhere) is it safe to use this capacities only for
> standalone apps?

I consider this limited shape editing support was added because of the
need of creating tileindexes for the layers. Mapserver/MapScript was
designed primairly to display the maps. However there are some open
source tools for editing data can use mapserver as the map rendering
engine.

> Or should i convert my data to MySQL or PostGIS?

For editing GIS data using a geodatabase as the repository of the data
would be architecturally better than using plain files.

Best Regards,

Tamas