Commercial Quality Maps and web services

Tue Aug 15 11:30:50 EDT 2006

Paul Maine(ATS) wrote:
> All
>
> I have a commercial mapping application that I would like to use Mapserver
> as the map engine. Is their a commercial map data provider that provides web
> services that are compatible with Mapserver?
>
> Thank You,
> Paul

If you are asking if the data providers also provide a UMN Mapfile with
the data, I am not aware of any. That said, I also have used Navteq,
TeleAtlas, GDT, and DMTI data with mapserver. All these vendors offer
data in ESRI shapefile format (or ArcView Format) which is easily usable
with mapserver. I have also use Mapinfo formated data by converting it
to shapefiles.

It is easy, but a little time consuming to create good looking mapfile
for any data that has lots of layers. If you are looking at large
quantities of map views 100K+ per day you will probably want to
preprocess that data to optimize it for performance.

-SteveW