map a search: best strategy?

Hal Mueller hal at MOBILEGEOGRAPHICS.COM
Mon Dec 4 18:23:11 EST 2006

At 6:16 PM -0500 12/4/06, John Smith wrote:

>you're right. the search database doesn't change much but it's
>maintained by someone else. if nothing looks good i'd have to tell
>him- dude add x/y column, but something tells me it's not as cool.

You could keep your own table--x/y column, joined by the unique ID.

>sweet. let's see if i get this right-
>1 external server does the search and says "show blah blah"
>2 my internal server already has a shp as base layer showing all the
>geocoded points. i simply create another dbf, do a join and overlay
>that to show "blah blah"? (didn't quite get symbolic link. join?)

Pretty much right.

There's no real notion of a JOIN in Shapefiles.  You have to copy the
geometry files and generate a new .DBF file.  A cheaper way to do
that, though, is to use a symbolic link instead of a completely new
copy, for each of the geometry files.

>can a smart wms also help here?

Maybe.  I don't have any WMS experience.  Someone else will have to
answer that.