WKT with PHP/MapScript?

Mike Leahy mgleahy at GOLDEN.NET
Fri Jan 13 04:21:08 EST 2006

Hello list,

I noticed an RFC on the MapServer website
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-2) that discusses
adding WKT to mapscript - this RFC's status is set to 'completed', but
the functionality has not been added to the MapScript dll for PHP (as
far as I can tell).  Is this likely to be added in the (relatively) near
future?

I'm asking because we're putting together tools that will store shapes
from a query result in PostGIS tables, as well as using shapes from
PostGIS to query layers with MapScript.  For now, it appears that the
only way to do this is by parsing through the shape objects in MapScript
to create WKT strings, and vice versa.  Clearly, support for direct
conversion of WKT to/from MapScript shapes would be very handy in our
case, and I imagine it would execute a bit faster as part of a dll
rather than in PHP.  I briefly had my hopes up when I saw that RFC
saying that WKT support had been added...just not for PHP - oh well.

Regards,
Mike